The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) released the first Marine Protected Area (MPA) Decadal Management Review (Review) in January. The Review is a synthesis across the four pillars of the MPA Management Program and evaluates the progress of the MPA Network at meeting the goals of the Marine Life Protection Act since 2012.
If you are interested in learning more about the Review findings, or sharing information related to your contributions to the Review via a table or a poster, CDFW encourages you to attend MPA Day: Management Review Forum (Forum) from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on March 15, 2023 in Monterey. CDFW, in partnership with the California Ocean Protection Council and the California Fish and Game Commission (CFGC), is hosting this one-day meeting to provide an opportunity for two-way conversations about the Review, and management of the MPA Network. If you are unable to attend, the Forum will be recorded and made available on CDFW’s website following the Forum.
REGISTER NOW! SPACE IS LIMITED
- If you are interested in attending the Forum, please register by February 15, 2023.
- In addition, if your organization or agency would like to highlight the work it has done over the past decade or share any MPA-related resources, please apply for an outreach table or to host a poster by February 6, 2023.
It is important to highlight that the Forum is not intended to be a venue for sharing official public comments. Rather, this event is an opportunity to learn more about the Review’s key findings and engage in discussions with CDFW, invited panelists, and other participants about the past 10 years of MPA management. Outcomes from the Forum can help inform management, moving forward. There will be opportunities to provide official comments at the February 9 and April 20 CFGC meetings, in addition to the March 16 Marine Resources Committee meeting dedicated to the Review – note that no discussion of the Review will occur at the March 14 Marine Resources Committee meeting.
Monterey County Fair and Event Center, 2004 Fairground Road, Monterey, CA 93940.
- Seaside Room: Plenary presentations and discussion from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- King City Room: Posters and tables from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; reception and poster session from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Introductory overview of the Review
- MPA management pillars, Session 1 (Research and Monitoring, Enforcement and Compliance)
- Lunch break
- MPA management pillars, Session 2 (Outreach and Education, Policy and Permitting)
- Reception and poster session
Additional details about the Forum including agenda specifics will be shared after the February 8-9 CFGC meeting. Public comments received during the March 15 Forum will be shared with the CFGC. There will be additional opportunities for public comment on the Review at the March 16 Marine Resources Committee meeting and future 2023 CFGC meetings, including the April 19-20 meeting. We look forward to seeing you at the Forum in March. If you have any further questions, please contact CDFW MPA Management program staff.
post by Amanda Van Diggelen, CDFW Environmental Scientist