The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is requesting nominations to fill two vacancies on the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program (OREHP) Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC). The SAC is mandated by the California Legislature to advise CDFW’s Director and the Ocean Resources Enhancement Advisory Panel (OREAP) regarding program activities. The goal of the SAC is to help ensure scientific integrity and transparency in science-based decision making.
The purpose of the OREHP is to determine if hatchery-released marine finfish can enhance stocks of wild species through increased hatchery production of fish and to monitor fisheries to assess hatchery contributions. The OREHP statute, Fish and Game Code (FGC) Sections 6590 – 6598, was amended in 2021, updating the program’s management processes and expanding the program’s capabilities and public-private partnerships. Currently, the focus of the OREHP’s research is on white seabass (Atractoscion nobilis).
Pursuant to FGC 6594.1, the SAC shall provide recommendations on all of the following:
- Ensuring the documentation of the program’s scientific accomplishments.
- Prioritizing program research activities based upon an independent evaluation of program research needs through consideration of:
- Systematic data collection to inform adaptive management of the program’s enhancement activities.
- The impacts of the program’s enhancement activities.
- The incorporation of best practices in hatchery science to, among other things, maintain the genetic diversity of stocked species.
- Identifying candidate focal species for enhancement or research potential.
- Developing quantitative criteria, benchmarks, and timelines to be used in evaluating the program and its activities.
CDFW is currently looking for two members who have expertise in the following areas: 1) fish genetics and its use in understanding stock enhancement; and 2) fish hatchery/aquaculture sciences and the use of hatcheries for mitigation or stock enhancement of wild populations. However, CDFW will consider nominees who have expertise in other areas that the Director of CDFW and the OREAP determine to be relevant to the program. The Director will appoint these two members to the SAC.
Each member of the SAC will receive $100 for each day of actual service performed in carrying out their official duties; however, total compensation will not exceed $500 for any calendar year. Additionally, the SAC will receive reimbursement for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the SAC or nominating an individual(s) to the SAC, please e-mail a letter of interest demonstrating the nominee’s area(s) of expertise and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the OREHP Coordinator, Valerie Taylor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your letter of interest and CV by October 31, 2022.
If you have any questions, please contact Valerie Taylor at the e-mail listed above.
post by Valerie Taylor, CDFW OREHP Coordinator