The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is soliciting nominations for the Ocean Resources Enhancement Advisory Panel (OREAP). The OREAP is a legislatively mandated advisory body that advises CDFW’s Director in establishing policy and direction, including the expenditure of fee revenue, for the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program. The purpose of the program is to determine if hatchery-released marine finfish can enhance stocks of wild species through increased hatchery production of fish, and to monitor fisheries to assess hatchery contributions. The Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program statute, Fish and Game Code Section 6590, was recently amended, updating the program’s management processes and expanding the program’s capabilities and public-private partnerships. Currently, the focus of the program’s research is related to white seabass (Atractoscion nobilis).
The composition of the OREAP, as described in the amended Fish and Game Code Section 6594, will include the following members:
- One non-voting member representing CDFW.
- One non-voting member representing the California Sea Grant program.
- Two voting members representing the southern California commercial fishing industry.
- One voting member representing the Southern California commercial passenger fishing vessel industry.
- Three voting members representing the Southern California sport fishing industry.
- One voting member representing the Southern California aquaculture industry.
- One voting member representing the public or non-governmental organization interests, or both.
CDFW’s Director will appoint all members, as well as a designated alternate member for each voting member of the OREAP. All members must be current residents of California. Each appointment of a member and alternate member will be for a term of three years. There is no limit on the number of terms a member may serve on the OREAP.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the OREAP, please e-mail or mail a letter of interest and resume to the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program Coordinator, Valerie Taylor at Valerie.Taylor@wildlife.ca.gov or 4665 Lampson Ave., Suite C, Los Alamitos, CA 90720. Members will be chosen based on their experience with the Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatchery Program, aquaculture, or sport or commercial fishing, as well as relevant support from stakeholder groups. Please submit your letter and resume by January 29, 2021.
This post was updated October 14, 2020
post by Valerie Taylor, CDFW Environmental Scientist